Making it faster and safer to prove your age
Our age estimation technology accurately estimates a person’s age by looking at their face. We built it to give everyone a secure and private way of proving how old they are in different everyday scenarios: from age checking on social platforms and online stores, to supermarket self-checkouts, bars and clubs. This privacy-friendly approach to age verification doesn’t require any personal details or documents, and all information is instantly deleted once someone receives their estimated age – nothing is ever viewed by a human.
Key takeaways from the report
- True Positive Rate (TPR) for 13-17 year olds correctly estimated as under 25 is 99.93%.
- There is no discernible bias across gender or skin tone for 13-17 year olds. The current TPRs are:
- 99.90% and 99.94% for females and males respectively.
- 99.93%, 99.89% and 99.92% for skin tones 1, 2 and 3 respectively.
- TPR for 6-11 year olds correctly estimated as under 13 is 98.35%.
- The current accuracy rates (Mean Absolute Errors) are:
- 2.9 years for 6-70 year olds.
- 1.4 years for 13-17 year olds.
- 1.3 years for 6-12 year olds.
- Users are not individually identifiable.
- Helps organisations to meet Children’s Codes or Age Appropriate Design Codes.
- Does not result in the processing of special category data.
- Gender and skin tone bias minimised.