Preloved is integrating new technologies to enable people to verify their identity in seconds boosting transparency, trust and safety in the classified community
London, UK – 21st January 2022 – Preloved, one of the UK’s most trusted classified advertising sites, has announced that it is introducing new safety measures that will enable its users to verify their profile using Yoti’s identity verification technology. The move will improve the security of sales for sellers and buyers alike, who will be able to transact online with additional peace of mind.
With over 9 million members and thousands of sales every day in over 500 categories, extra security and peace of mind in every purchase is imperative to Preloved, and the classified advertising community. As part of its mission to continue being the UK’s most trusted classified site, and promote responsible pet ownership, Preloved is committed to creating a safe space for people to connect, buy and sell. By leveraging Yoti identity verification, it will enable people to trade safely and ensure that people are who they say they are – of particular importance when making high value and emotional purchases such as pets and electronics.
Yoti is designed to make it simpler and safer for people to prove who they are, digitally. Individuals can verify their identity in minutes by sharing their ID document and facial biometrics via their phone or computer to prove they are genuine. This means there’s no more commuting to share ID documents and less admin and risk for businesses copying, checking and storing ID documents. It’s a secure solution that helps businesses and individuals be confident that people are who they say they are.
Lucy Roberts of Preloved said: “Preloved values itself on making sure that trust is at the core of its business model. Therefore, we are always looking to take important steps to improve transparency with every Preloved transaction and reduce the risk of fraud. Which is why we are delighted with our partnership with Yoti, as they will allow us to complete thorough online identity verification checks, enabling us to continue supporting our community to transact with peace of mind online.”
John Abbott, Chief Business Officer of Yoti, commented: “Buying and selling on classified sites is hugely popular for good reason, but wherever there are good people with good intentions, fraudsters will never be too far away. That’s why we’re delighted to be working with Preloved to improve customer experiences and safety. We created Yoti to help businesses and people work together to improve the safety of everyday tasks and it’s great to see Preloved leading the way in the worlds of classifieds using our secure, privacy preserving technology.”
- Established in 1998, Preloved started out as a community site for second hand enthusiasts to buy and sell unwanted items.
- 20+ years later, and with increasing awareness surrounding environmental responsibility,
- Preloved has become one of the most trusted and largest classified sites in the UK.
- over 9 million members
- Buy and sell in over 500 different categories.
- No selling fees, no auctions – just extra benefits for as little £5 a year.
- The total value of items for sale on Preloved tops £1.5 billion
- Over 2 million visits every month.
- Roughly 10,000 new adverts are posted each day.
- Yoti is a digital identity technology company that allows organisations to
- verify identities and trusted credentials online and in person.
- Yoti’s products span identity verification, age verification, document eSigning, access
- management, and authentication.
- In the UK, Yoti is partnered with Post Office to accelerate digital identity adoption with a national footprint spanning 10,500 Post Office branches, online and more.
- Over 10 million people have downloaded the free Yoti app globally. Yoti is available in English, Spanish, French, German, Portuguese and Polish.
- Yoti is certified to ISO/IEC 27001:2013 for ID Verification Services, ISAE 3000 (SOC 2) Type 2 certified for its technical and organisational security processes.