Supermarkets as we know them today are vastly different from the ones we were used to twenty years ago. Doing the weekly shop is quicker and easier thanks to supermarkets implementing technological solutions like scan-as-you-shop and self-checkout terminals. Shoppers are becoming increasingly independent, but how can supermarkets assure that their customers are old enough to buy age-restricted products with minimal staff intervention and manual ID checks?
Across the UK, supermarkets are looking to adopt new ways to check that their customers are old enough to buy age-restricted products. By embedding our leading age verification technology into their self-checkout terminals, supermarkets could reduce the amount of time customers spend scanning and paying for their shopping.
Digitise your age checks
Our age estimation tech can instantly estimate a customer’s age via facial analysis – no ID document or pre-registration needed.
How it works
- Customers simply look at the camera on the self-checkout and have their age estimated based on their facial biometrics.
- If the result of the estimation is above the threshold set by the supermarket, then the customer can continue to pay for their items.
- If the result of the estimation is below the threshold, the customer can use their Yoti digital ID to prove their age.
The Yoti app could allow shoppers to prove they’re over a business’ age policy using a digital ID on their phone. This requires downloading the free Yoti app and verifying themselves with an ID document and a biometric selfie. They just need to do this once and can use their digital ID for life.
How it works
- Customers scan the QR code on the self-checkout screen using their Yoti app.
- They consent to sharing a verified ‘Over Age’ in their Yoti app, which will tell the business they’re over the required threshold.
See how it works
Make life easier…
… for staff:
- Efficient: ID checks account for 50% of staff interventions at self-checkouts. Our innovative age verification technology would empower customers to prove their age independently of staff, who can focus on other tasks in the supermarket.
- Safe: Year-on-year, age-restricted sales are an overwhelming trigger for abuse and violence towards supermarket staff. Age verification tech could reduce contact between staff and shoppers, removing some of the friction created by manual checks.
- Accurate: Our age estimation technology is more accurate at detecting age than humans. There are several reasons why an employee might not accurately complete age checks. For example, tiredness, biases, or falling prey to fake IDs. This takes the pressure off human error and helps businesses avoid hefty fines for selling age-restricted goods to minors. For more information, read our white paper.
… and customers:
- Faster: Age checks can be done in real-time with accurate age estimations taking less than 5 seconds, dramatically reducing the time spent at checkouts.
- Accessible: Studies show that about 4.5 million adults in the UK do not own an in-date, recognisable ID. Age estimation would allow them to prove their age without carrying a physical ID card.
- More convenient: We’re rarely without our phones, or our face for that matter. Shoppers would no longer be denied a sale if they forget their ID document, nor would they risk losing their valuable ID documents, like a passport or driving license. See what these customers thought of our age estimation solution at the self-checkout.