App Terms and Conditions
Look out for these information boxes for a simple summary of each section.
Jump to section
- Know more about Yoti
- Before you create your App account
- Creating and adding information to your App account
- Using your App to share information
- Use of Hub
- Use of Yoti Password Manager
- Closing/Deleting your App account
- We care about your privacy and security
- Data checks with other companies
- Intellectual property
- Availability of the App and Products
- Your use of the App and Products
- Our responsibility (liability) to you
- Other legal points around terms and conditions
- And finally…
- We have changed the dispute resolution section for our US users.
Last updated: 7th December 2021
Welcome to the Yoti app or the Post Office EasyID app!
Both the Yoti app and the Post Office EasyID app are provided by Yoti. This document covers your use of the apps.
Wherever you see the image below you can use either the Yoti app or the EasyID app.
Look out for the information icon for simple summaries of each section.
- We’re delighted that you downloaded one of our Yoti or Post Office EasyID apps (the “App”) and that you are considering using the App or Yoti Password Manager (the “Products”).
- Post Office EasyID App user: Thanks for downloading the Post Office EasyID App. The EasyID app and products are provided to you by Yoti, under licence from Post Office Limited.
- Did you know? Both the Apps work with any Yoti or Post Office EasyID products. You can use either the Yoti app or the Post Office EasyID app wherever you see the digital ID trustmark.
- We will follow our own published Misuse Policy if people misuse our App in a manner which may harm other users. In case there is any conflict between these terms and conditions and our Misuse Policy, these terms and conditions will take precedence.
- We recommend that you save and/or print a copy of these terms and conditions for future reference.
- We are “Yoti”. When we talk about “you” in this document, we’re talking about you as an individual using our Products for private and non-commercial purposes only, except as may be expressly allowed by the functionality of our App or allowed by us in writing. When we talk about a “third party” we mean anyone who is not you or us.
- If you want to use Yoti or Post Office EasyID as an organisation or business (“organisation”) or on behalf of an organisation, you will need to accept and comply with the organisational terms and conditions presented to you when creating an organisational account or when accepting an organisational profile.
2. Know more about Yoti
The app is free of charge for you to use and always will be free for you when you are proving your age or your identity to other people or other companies – eg when you are shopping instore or online. We might in the future charge you for special features, but we will give you three months warning before we do.
- Yoti’s products help you to prove who you are, online and in person. Only you control what identity information you add to your App account and you alone will decide when you want to use your App to identify yourself to a third party. You choose whether to agree or not to share the information a third party requests.
- We won’t charge you for using the app, and, if you choose to add identity details, then we won’t charge you for sharing your core identity details (your face, name, gender, nationality, date of birth, age, address) with other people or other companies. We might also offer optional premium services to individuals that may carry a cost, and we will notify you of these costs before you sign up to receive these services or with at least three months’ notice through the App and the website if you are already using these services free of charge.
- If you decide to share information with organisations using our Products, we reserve the right to charge them for receiving that information.
- Yoti may from time to time create, develop and introduce additional features, functionality or services to our Products and, if necessary, we will update these terms and conditions accordingly as required.
3. Before you create your App account
In most countries you have to be over 13 to use our app but in some countries you have to be older.
You can only have one Yoti app account and one EasyID app account.
- Provided you accept and continue to comply with these terms and conditions, Yoti grants you a non-exclusive, non-transferable licence to use our App that can be revoked at any time.
- Our Products are not currently intended for people under the age of 13. To use our Products, you must be (and you promise to us that you are) over the required age in your territory to give consent by yourself for processing of your data (this age varies from territory to territory, but in the UK and the US is 13). If your territory does not have a minimum age we set it at 13 (and this is the case for India). If we believe or verify that you have not told us your true age (or have not received parental consent if required by your local law), we may suspend your use of our Products until you have provided us with acceptable proof of age (or parental consent). We advise parents and guardians who allow their children to use our Products that it is important to communicate with their children about their safety online.
- Each person can only create one Yoti app account and one EasyID app account. You will be able to add new identity documents to your existing App account.
4. Creating and adding information to your App account
To create an app account you have to do four things:
1) enter your mobile number;
2) set up a PIN code; and
3) add your selfie so that we can recognise you and know you are not a bot.
You may also add an identity document so that we know your identity details.
We will keep your data for up to 30 days so that we can check it, and after that we encrypt your data so that even we cannot see your data.
- Having downloaded our App, to create your App account you will need to provide us with a genuine and valid mobile phone number. You will be asked to confirm the number with a one-time code which we will send to that mobile number by text. You will then create a 5 digit PIN for future access to your App account. If your phone supports biometric (fingerprint or face) login you can also choose to use this to access your account instead of or as well as a PIN. It is your responsibility to ensure no one else has access to your PIN or to your phone’s biometric login, so it is, and remains, secure and confidential. We may change our security requirements from time to time.
- When registering for an App account or adding your first identity documents, we will ask you to complete a short test to prove you are a real live person and not a bot. This test could involve, for example, repeating some words in a recorded video or we could ask you to move your phone in relation to your face to capture multiple images (you will see instructions for this at the time). If we ask you to use the video method, then our security staff will review it and we will permanently delete this video within 30 days from the date on which it is recorded. If we ask you to use another method, the information is processed on your phone automatically and you will receive an instant pass / fail.
- You may also choose to add a genuine and valid identity document (like a passport or driving licence) to your App account so you can share certain pieces of information with a third party, for example, sharing your age in order to access a service. Your identity document itself will not be shared with the third party with whom you have chosen to share your data using Yoti.
- All App account creation instructions given in our App during the account creation process (and any amendments or updates to those processes) also form part of these terms and conditions.
- While you’re setting up your App account, adding information to it or recovering access to your account, Yoti will be able to see the information you enter so that we can verify it. We will keep this information securely for up to 30 days following approval.
- We will store a biometric template of your face, taken from a facial scan captured during the liveness test you complete at registration, to verify that it is always you trying to access your App account. A biometric template is a digital map of your face and, for your security, this is done in such a way that the original facial scan cannot be retrieved from this template.
- After the information is entered and verified your information will be separately secured and locked using a private key (encrypted) and Yoti will be unable to see it or access it. Only you will have the private encryption keys (unpredictable and unique numbers used to decrypt information), stored in your mobile phone or other devices, so only you can access your App account. It is your responsibility to keep your mobile phone and other devices safe, and to prevent others from having unauthorised access to them.
5. Using your App to share information
You have full control of when Yoti shares your data with anyone else. When you do share data you will get a record of that data share, and so will the person or company you shared the data with. For example, if you use your app to share your date of birth with a social media site then you will have a record of that share in the app and the social media site will also have a record.
You may also be able to add information about yourself to your app account, and you must do so honestly.
- You alone will decide when you want to use your App to identify yourself to a third party, or to swap, send or request personal information (as may be allowed by the functionality of the version of our App that you are using). Whenever an organisation or other individual asks you to share information through your App, you always get to decide whether to accept or not. We encourage third parties who use our services to only ask for the minimum information required, and reserves the right not to do business with third parties who ask for more information than they need.
- Whenever you share information with a third party, you and the third party will each receive a receipt, showing the information shared. The receipt will be available in your App account.
- Yoti creates and encrypts a master receipt which contains details of the sharing for both parties. This master receipt is securely stored on our servers and we cannot access or view it unless either you or the third party provides us with their own receipt containing the encryption key needed to access the information.
- We may allow you to add and accept attributes from certain third parties into your App account, for example university degrees, professional qualifications, employer references, landlord references and so on. You must only add or accept third party attributes to your App account that are current, relevant, genuine and accurate – you must not add or accept third party attributes to your App account or share any attributes using our App which do not fulfil such criteria or which are out of date. We may suspend your use of our App and/or terminate these terms and conditions if we know or reasonably suspect you to have not complied with the previous sentence. Some of these third party attributes that you can add or accept to your App account can be verified, for example by your university, professional organisation, employer or landlord. We will make it clear to those individuals or organisations you wish to share a third party attribute with as to whether or not the relevant attribute has been properly verified by the relevant third party (i.e. your employer, landlord, university etc.).
6. Use of Hub
You can use our Hub to set up web pages to help you receive data from other app users if you wish. If you do so then you are responsible for the content. If you do not act responsibly we may suspend or shut down your Hub account and your app account.
You may access the Hub (this is where you can create pages and applications which allow other people to share information with you) at www.yoti.com/hub, or such other domain address as updated by Yoti and notified to you from time to time. You may use the Hub to create and administrate pages and applications, for example, for social activities.
If you use the Hub to set up pages and applications you must only use it (and any information contained in it) in line with the requirements in this section.
Content standards: you must make sure that anything you put on your Hub, and which is therefore visible on your page or application login screen:
- is accurate and complies with any applicable laws;
- does not contain any information which is defamatory, obscene, inflammatory or discriminatory based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age;
- does not promote sexually explicit material, violence or any illegal activity;
- does not infringe the intellectual property rights (including copyright, database right or trade mark) of any other person;
- is not likely to deceive any person;
- does not breach any legal duty owed to a third party;
- is not threatening or abusive and does not invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety;
- is not likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person;
- is not used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent someone’s identity or affiliation with any person;
- does not encourage, promote or assist any unlawful act including copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Suspension and termination: if Yoti determines, in its absolute discretion, that you have breached the Hub content standards, Yoti may, without limitation:
- issue a warning to you;
- temporarily suspend, or permanently terminate, your right to use the App, including the Hub;
- take legal action against you to claim back any costs as a result of the breach;
- take further legal action as may be necessary;
- disclose such information to law enforcement authorities as we reasonably consider is necessary.
Security: you must access the Hub using your Individual App Account or otherwise using login details which we may provide to you from time to time. Only you may use your App to access the Hub, and you are responsible for keeping all passwords and other login details secure and confidential.
Adding links within Hub: you may add URL links to your pages and application login screens within the Hub, as long as you do this in a way that is fair and legal and does not damage our reputation. You may not display links in a way that suggests any form of association, approval or endorsement by Yoti where this does not exist. We reserve the right to withdraw the linking functionality without notice.
7. Use of Yoti Password Manager
You are welcome to use the Yoti Password Manager feature to save your user name and password details for logging into websites and other apps. We do not recommend you use this for very valuable websites. It is up to you to keep your app account secret so that others do not get hold of your passwords.
- If you choose to use the Yoti Password Manager feature, you can add usernames, passwords, URLs, website names and any login specific settings.
- Yoti Password Manager is not suitable and was not designed for use on high risk accounts (for example online banking accounts).
- Yoti Password Manager also provides a password generator and auto-complete feature. This allows you to generate strong passwords and use stored data to automatically fill in data fields. You are under no obligation to use any password generated in this way. To the extent permitted by law, we are not responsible to you for the security or strength of any password generated using this feature, other than as set out below at section 14 (Our responsibility to you).
- It is your responsibility to make sure that no-one else has access to your passwords generated by or stored in Yoti Password Manager, and to keep such passwords secure and confidential.
- You will need to download the browser extension for Yoti Password Manager to function. Depending on your browser you may be required to accept an additional end user licence agreement to use this feature. In the event of any conflict these terms and conditions take precedence over the Yoti Password Manager end user licence agreement.
8. Closing/deleting your App account
You can delete your app account at any time and if you do all data in it will be deleted. Follow these steps: Yoti app > More > Settings > Delete
We may suspend your use of the app if we think you are not obeying or following this agreement.
We may remove some of the features, however we will give you at least 30 days warning.
- You’re able to close your App account at any time by selecting the “Delete Account” option in “Settings” in the App’s menu. We will ask you to take a selfie to confirm it’s really you asking to delete the account.
- We reserve the right to immediately suspend your App account and access to our App and to terminate these terms and conditions, and therefore your right to use the Products, without responsibility or liability to you if, in our sole opinion, you are not complying with these terms and conditions, or if you disrupt our Products or if your continued use of our Products is harmful.
- We reserve the right to terminate some or all of our services, and therefore your right to use the Products, at any time at our discretion and without responsibility to you on providing you with at least 30 days’ prior notice through the App.
- If you or we close your App account, you will lose access to your account and to all of the information and services associated with it. We may need to keep your sharing receipts for regulatory reasons. Any third party you shared information with through the service will still have those details (in their own receipts) after you have closed your App account.
- Once your App account is closed, we will delete from our server all identifying attributes, all biometrics you used, all other ‘non-identity’ attributes (such as email), any associations to pages and applications created (the pages and applications themselves are not deleted), and all ‘remember me’ IDs (the IDs that identify a returning user to an integrated service).
- Whether your App account is closed by you or by us, you should delete the App from your device promptly following closure of your account.
9. We care about your privacy and security
10. Data checks with other companies
Sometimes we check the truth of your data with other companies.
- If you decide to add more information to your App account in addition to your ID document, email address or phone number, Yoti might offer to further verify that information by running extra checks with the body who issued the information, an external identity checking providers and credit reference agencies. Such checks may include verifying your name, address and/or date of birth, credentials, or your banking details.
- Issuing authorities (who are organisations that Yoti trusts to issue credentials) may issue credentials into your App account that you can then either show as a form of identification or share with other parties using Yoti.
- From time to time we might need to involve other third parties in delivering the services that our Products provide you. We reserve the right to transfer, assign, subcontract or deal in any other manner with our rights and obligations under these terms and conditions without your prior written approval. Please note that you may close your App account, stop using our Products and terminate these terms and conditions at any time (please see the “Closing/deleting your App account” section, above).
11. Intellectual property
We own or have the right to use all the ideas, software and designs in the app.
- We are very proud of our Products, and, as we are sure you can understand, they contain some valuable intellectual property, trade knowledge and other confidential information. This means that you must not do any of the following:
- Copy, sell, give, assign, or market our Products to any third party;
- Modify, reuse, disassemble or decompile our Products or any part of it;
- Reverse engineer our Products or any part of them (this means analyse our Products in order to work out their function or structure, whether with or without the intention of re-creating or modifying them); or
- Translate or create derivative works (adaptations) based on our Products or any part of them.
- For the purposes of these terms and conditions, only Yoti owns or is the licensee of all intellectual property, know-how, trade knowledge and other confidential information in or arising out of or in connection with our Products.
12. Availability of the App and Products
We do our best to make sure that the App always works, but sometimes we have to stop the app to fix problems.
- We aim to ensure that you are able to access and use our App and Products at all times. However, your use of our App and Products may from time to time be interrupted by maintenance, repairs or updates or other factors which we may not be able to control and we cannot guarantee to you that they will always be available. We will do our best to notify you of such situations as soon as possible after we become aware of them, but we will not be liable under any circumstances for any loss or damage caused as a result of such interruption of availability of our App and Products, other than as set out below at section 14 (Our responsibility to you).
13. Your use of the App and Products
We are not responsible for what other companies do with the data you share with them using the app. You should check out those other companies carefully before trusting them with your data.
Please only use the app in a legal way and for your personal use.
- You are at all times responsible for making informed decisions about sharing your information with third parties and for considering the implications of doing so. Yoti has no control over what third parties do with the information you choose to share with them through the App and therefore accepts no responsibility or liability for information misuse on their part.
- You are responsible for making sure that all your information associated with your App account is accurate and up to date.
- Yoti issues receipts to both parties when you share your identity using the App. These receipts, and the attributes presented in them, should remain private to the two counterparties unless one is a victim of the other’s fraud / mistreatment at which point the victim can share the receipt with law enforcement (but not the general public).
- We trust you to use our Products sensibly and lawfully, but please be aware that you must:
- not use or interact with our Products if you intend to commit any unlawful, fraudulent, dishonest, anti-social, unethical, abusive, threatening or invasive behaviour;
- use our Products only for your private use and non-commercial purposes (except as may be expressly allowed by the functionality of the App or otherwise allowed by us in writing);
- not damage, interfere with or disrupt the integrity or performance of our Products in any way;
- not offer in any manner, sublicense, lease, sell or otherwise make available our Products or any of their services to any third party without our prior written consent;
- not use or interact with our Products in any unlawful, fraudulent or dishonest way or for any improper purpose. In particular, please be aware that under UK law, it is a criminal offence to create, possess and/or use fraudulent, forged, false or improperly obtained documentation. It is illegal to impersonate, or pretend you are, someone else, for example by using their identification documents. If we know of or suspect activity by you that contravenes this section, we reserve the right to suspend your App account, to report you to the relevant authority or agency, or to take such other action as we in our discretion believe is necessary for the protection of our users and/or our business or reputation, and we will keep a copy of your data for further anti-fraud procedures or as may be required by law. If false or inaccurate information is provided and fraud is identified, details may be passed to fraud prevention agencies to prevent fraud, money laundering and other criminal offences. You can get more information explaining how the fraud prevention agencies will use the information by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
If we know or have reasonable grounds to suspect that activity by you breaches this section, we reserve the right to take all appropriate action to investigate and to deal with the consequences of a breach. Please also refer to our Misuse Policy.
14. Our responsibility (liability) to you
This part sets out how we are responsible to you.
If we have lied to you we take full responsibility. If we have made an honest mistake that harms you when we should have been able to see what could happen then the most we are liable to you is for £500.
We are allowed to improve or change our app and services to you.
It is not our fault if there is a natural disaster or something happens that we have no control over and the app does not work.
- Nothing in these terms and conditions excludes or limits our liability either: (a) for your death or personal injury if it’s caused by our negligence; or (b) our fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation (this means if we deliberately and knowingly make a false statement or representation with the intent to deceive or without belief in its truth or recklessly as to its truth). We will also take responsibility where we are required to by applicable law.
- Aside from the circumstances listed above, if we do not comply with these terms and conditions, we will be responsible for loss or damage you suffer that is a foreseeable result, to you and to Yoti, of our breach or our negligence (that is, any act or omission by us which falls short of a standard to be expected of a reasonable person) up to a total cap of £500 (to the extent permitted by law). This cap includes all claims whether made for a breach of contract, our negligence or for any breach of our statutory duty. However, we are not responsible for any other loss or damage you suffer that is not reasonably foreseeable. Loss or damage is foreseeable if it was an obvious consequence of our breach or if it was contemplated by both you and us at the time you downloaded the App. To the extent permitted by law, we are not responsible for any loss whatsoever due to the actions of third parties (including bad actors) that were not made possible by our own negligence.
- Yoti is not under any circumstances liable to you for:
a) any losses that were not caused by Yoti;
b) any business losses or liabilities: including loss of profit; loss of income; loss of goodwill (this means the good reputation enjoyed by a legal entity); loss of anticipated savings; loss of data; loss of business; business interruption or loss of business opportunity, however caused;
c) any credentials provided by third parties to your App account or a third party’s App account which you rely on; or
d) any data breaches by third parties with whom you chose to share information.
- If you breach these terms and conditions, we are not liable to you for any loss or damage you may suffer because of your breach.
- From time to time we might need to update our Products, for example, to improve the services we offer to you or for security reasons. We reserve the right to update, modify or terminate our Products or your access to them for any reason, without notice, at any time, and without any legal responsibility to you. To use the most up-to-date functionality of our Products, you must download any updates we make available. You will be responsible for any loss or damage you may suffer by continuing to use an outdated version of the Products. We do not guarantee that our Products will work with all devices and operating systems and we are not responsible for maintaining the compatibility of our Products with all updated or new operating systems and devices.
- We hope it never happens, but it is possible that something we have no control over might happen which makes it impossible for you to use some or all of the services provided through our Products, such as a strike, riot or natural disaster. Although it is unlikely that this will happen, if it does we will try to inform you about it and to minimise any disruption to your use of our Products, including by taking mitigating measures, but we will not be liable to you for any loss of functionality or use.
- You have legal rights where we do not provide services with reasonable care and skill, and goods that are not of a satisfactory quality. Information about your legal rights is available from your local Citizens’ Advice Bureau or Trading Standards Office. Nothing in these terms and conditions will affect these legal rights.
15. Other legal points around terms and conditions
We might update these Terms from time to time, and we will tell you when we do.
This section explains which Yoti company you are dealing with and how to make a complaint to us by emailing email@example.com .
- Your rights or obligations under these terms and conditions cannot be transferred, assigned, sublicensed, subcontracted, dealt in any other manner without our prior written approval. No other person has any right to enforce any of these terms and conditions, whether under the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 or otherwise.
- We may change or add to these terms and conditions from time to time, for example to reflect any changes: (i) in our policies or relevant laws and regulatory requirements; (ii) in the functionality of our Products; or (iii) imposed on us by a third party. If we do make any changes, we will tell you and direct you to the revised terms and conditions the next time you use our App. If you do not understand or agree with the revised terms and conditions, you should stop using our Products and close your App account (in line with section 9 on closing / deleting your App account). We will always post the most current version of the terms and conditions on our website and our App.
- No other change to these terms and conditions shall be valid.
- Each of these terms and conditions operates separately, meaning that if a court or other relevant authority decides that any term or condition cannot be enforced, the others will still remain in full force and effect.
- If we do not enforce any of our rights under these terms and conditions, this failure does not mean that we cannot or will not decide to enforce that right at a later point.
- (i) The Yoti company you contract with (ii) the law that applies to these terms and (iii) the courts which any disputes will be heard in – they all depend on where you live.
- If you live in India then you are contracting with Yoti Biometric Identity Private Ltd, whose CIN is U74999DL2016FTC306577 and whose registered address is Gayatri Tech Park, Ground Floor, 183, EPIP, Near iGate, KIADB, EPIP Zone, Whitefield Road, Bangalore – 66. Indian law applies to any dispute or claim arising from these terms and conditions or your use of our Products (whether contractual or non-contractual) and we can both bring legal proceedings in the Indian courts.
- If you live in the USA or Canada then you are contracting with Yoti USA Inc, whose company registration number is C4047096 and whose registered office is at 345 Grove Street, Second Floor, San Francisco, CA94102. Any dispute or claim relating in any way to these terms and conditions or your use of the apps will be resolved by binding arbitration, rather than in court, except that you may assert claims in small claims court if your claims qualify. The Federal Arbitration Act and federal arbitration law apply to this agreement. There is no judge or jury in arbitration, and court review of an arbitration award is limited. However, an arbitrator can award on an individual basis the same damages and relief as a court (including injunctive and declaratory relief or statutory damages), and must follow the terms of these terms and conditions as a court would. To begin an arbitration proceeding, you must send a letter requesting arbitration and describing your claim to our registered address. The arbitration will be conducted by the American Arbitration Association (AAA) under its rules, including the AAA’s Supplementary Procedures for Consumer-Related Disputes. The AAA’s rules are available at www.adr.org or by calling 1-800-778-7879. Payment of all filing, administration and arbitrator fees will be governed by the AAA’s rules. You may choose to have the arbitration conducted by telephone, based on written submissions, or in person at a mutually agreed location. We each agree that any dispute resolution proceedings will be conducted only on an individual basis and not in a class, consolidated or representative action. If for any reason a claim proceeds in court rather than in arbitration we each waive any right to a jury trial. We also both agree that you or we may bring suit in a state or federal court in California to enjoin infringement or other misuse of intellectual property rights.
- If you live anywhere else in the world then you are contracting with Yoti Limited, a company registered in England with number 08998951 and whose address is at 107 Leadenhall Street, London, EC3A 4AF. Subject to any mandatory requirements of your local law that override this paragraph, English law applies to any dispute or claim arising from these terms and conditions or your use of our Products (whether contractual or non-contractual) and we must each bring legal proceedings in the English courts.
- If you have a dispute with us, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and try to resolve the dispute informally. If you and we cannot resolve a dispute informally, you can submit it for online resolution to the European Commission Online Dispute Resolution platform. For more information click here: http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/odr/. You and we will also have the option of resolving the dispute using court action.
- The English language version of these terms and conditions prevails.
16. And finally…
- Please note that if you are accessing your App account through our website, for example, to check your activity or manage your profile, then these terms and conditions will also apply to the extent necessary for your use of the website.
- If you would like to contact us, you can do so by emailing email@example.com.